Before we get started, first take a minute to list the different things you are currently doing to drive traffic to your website. How many items do you have on your list? If you could use a few more options, today let’s dive into my personal checklist of 22 ways to drive traffic to your website.
If you are an entrepreneur on a budget, this list should be especially useful to you. When it comes to online marketing, if you can’t spend money on advertising, you will have to spend time learning how to improve your website traffic building skills.
Hopefully, these suggestions can help you begin to practice and put into action a few smart, no-cost marketing solutions.
Blog Better. Blog More.
1. Publish at least 5-10 blog posts weekly – I know this may seem like a lot of work, but it’s worth it. When I check by website statistics, I notice a spike in page views and new subscribers when I post more often. As a matter of fact, in this article over on Entrepreneur.com, the author explains increasing their blogging efforts from posting twice a week to over 10 times resulted in a 300% increase in traffic in just two months.
2. Bulk Task Your Blog Posts – I get it, it’s hard to blog every day. I honestly don’t have the time or team to do that either. My alternative solution is what I like to call bulk-tasking my posts. Over 2 to 3-day intervals, I write at least two-four weeks of content and then I schedule out those posts to publish daily. This is actually a blogging strategy for busy entrepreneurs that I teach as inside my 10 Day Blogging Challenge.
Create Share-Worthy Blog Content
3. Get Into the Habit of Sharing Smart Lists – People love when you can make their lives easier by curating the best available information on a particular topic and giving it to them in the form of a list. Give them your best recommendations, resources, and connections in list form and you just might be surprised to see how many people will share your list, driving traffic back to you.
4. Write More Reviews and Product Comparisons – Search engine optimization plays a big role in the wonderful world of online marketing. Every day millions of people go online in search of reviews and product comparisons to help them make smarter decisions about the offers they choose. Start writing more reviews as a way to improve your website’s visibility across popular search engines like Google, Yahoo, and Bing.
Beef Up Your Social Media Marketing Efforts
5. Social Sync Your Content – Having an empty Facebook page or inactive Twitter profile won’t do you any good. Try using social media tools like HootSuite to connect your blog’s RSS Feed to your social media profiles. This connection ensures your new blog posts will automatically be published to your social profiles, which can help you gain additional exposure for your posts.
6. Repost Your Best Content – Have you ever heard the expression “you’re leaving money on the table?” Here’s a twist, right now you are probably “leaving clicks on the table.” Most entrepreneurs only share their content once or twice on social platforms before they are off to create new content. The smarter solution is to use social media management tools like HooteSuite or Edgar to schedule out resharing your best content for extended reach and new views.
Watch My Training Video Below:
HootSuite Blog Post Marketing and Social Media Automation
Spend More Time Sharing Your Content
7. Use Social Bookmarking and Content Sharing Website More Often – Your marketing efforts should not stop at creating blog posts and sharing them on your social profiles. Consider posting your best articles and answers on the following websites for additional exposure:
- Quora is a question-and-answer site where questions are asked, answered, edited and organized by its community of users.
- LinkedIn Pulse is a daily professional news digest. LinkedIn members can submit articles and review daily news, powered by their professional world.
- Biz Sugar is a place where you can share small business news, tips, blog posts and information with BizSugar’s community of small business owners and entrepreneurs.
- Reddit is an entertainment, social news networking service built on user-generated news links.
8. Use Slides to Attract People’s Attention – Using the SlideShare and/or Facebook SlideShow you can share searchable / shareable presentations that highlight information from your best articles; linking back to the posts.
Try Guest Blogging and Article Exchanges
9. Become a Guest Blogger or Accept Guest Post Submissions – Consider submitting your best articles to online publications that target your ideal customers. On the flip side, you can also consider accepting guest posts from others as a way to beef up the content and traffic on your own website.
10. Initiate an Article Exchange: Try reaching out to one (or a few) of your business associates who target a similar market and initiate an article exchange in which you agree to write articles to post on each other’s blogs. I periodically except articles from experienced professionals as part of my Power Circle Experts series.
Use Strong Visuals to Attract Attention
11. Make Your Posts Pop With Pictures – Using photo editing web tools like Canva or graphic apps like Word Swag you can easily create eye catching graphics people love to share like quotes, memes and infographics; connecting them to your website by including your logo and url within your graphics.
12. Use Slides to Attract People’s Attention – Use SlideShare.net and/or the Facebook SlideShow feature to post searchable, shareable presentations that highlight information from your best articles; linking back to those posts.
Turn Your Best Content Into Digital Downloads
13. Create Your Own Magazine – Use platforms like ISSUU or magcloud to produce your own Print On Demand or digital magazine. By self-publishing my own magazine, SistaSense In Print, I’ve been able to repurpose my best blog posts all while increasing the website’s visibility and sales. I share my self-publishing strategies and customizable magcloud magazine template inside my Brand to Mag training course.
14. Create Your Own eBooks and Free Reports – Turn your best blog posts into eBooks and reports that you can use for additional profit or strictly for promotion. For example, I created my free eguide, 101 Web Business Questions Answered, to help my new subscribers easily access the best content on my website. As a matter of fact, many information marketers and online entrepreneurs have turned their blog content into best sellers and/or high performing opt-in offers as a way to drive steady traffic back to their website. You can start by adding your free downloads to your web store and then consider submitting your content to Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing and eBook directories for additional exposure.
Host Virtual Conferences, Social Q&As and Live Stream Shows
15. Ask Questions and Provide Quality Answers On Social Media Platforms – Here are a few smart ways to simultaneously reach more people, share your know-how and drive traffic back to your website. You can bring your social following together by hosting twitter events using a platform like TweetChat. You can spark great conversations, sharing your ideas with the world using online radio and podcasting platforms like Anchor.fm. Alternatively, you can host your own live stream shows using streaming video platforms like Periscope, Blab or Facebook Live.
16. Host Virtual Conferences – Get into the habit of regularly hosting teleconference calls and webinars. This strategy can help you share your expertise and increase return visits back to your website while attracting new followers who might be interested in participating in your virtual events.
Keep Them Entertained and In the Know Using Video
17 – Add More Video Content to Your Website – According to Statistic Brain, 4,950,000,000 videos are viewed on Youtube every day. Think about how many videos you are watching and sharing online on a daily basis. Consider collecting the videos that may be of interest to your readers and using them as content for your blog. Viral videos can drive a great deal of traffic to your website.
18. Convert Your Blog Posts Into Videos – Create 5-10 minute videos in which you share highlights and/or recaps from your blog posts. Be sure to include the post url in the description area of your video and also consider embedding your new video in the post itself.
Make It Easier for People to Share Your Best Content
19. Use Sumome – Sumome is a suite of free tools that can be used to grow your website’s traffic. Get 20% more pageviews with Share. Share for Sumome adds social share buttons to your blog posts, which makes it easy for your visitors to share your content to their friends, family, and others.
20. Use the Click to Tweet Plugin – This WordPress plugin allows you to easily create tweetable content for your readers. Use pull quotes and custom messages inside the body of your blog post to highlight your content for the reader and make it simple for them to share on Twitter.
Beef Up Your Email Marketing Efforts
21. Try RSS to Email – Turn your blog into an email newsletter using the RSS to Email feature that most email marketing services offer. Give your subscribers the convenience of reading your latest posts in their inbox, which can in turn help to increase traffic back to your website.
22. Drip Your Best Content – Create a drip campaign that highlights some of your best old blog posts. This simple effective strategy can help to motivate your email subscribers to visit your website more often.
As an entrepreneur, you’ll find your sweet spot is the place where you have the perfect balance between your web pages, your products and your people. In other words, when there is steady growth in all three of these areas you actually see the desired business results that you are looking for. If you are a creative being like myself, it’s important that you don’t simply spend all your time creating content (pages and products). It is equally important that you work on your ability to attract people and drive traffic to your website on a daily basis.
Now that you have my list of 22 ways to drive traffic to your website, where will you begin? What questions do you have? Feel free to share your thoughts, questions, marketing lessons learned and personal recommendations with me via the comment box below. You can also help this conversation grow by sharing this post with your circle!
If you like this article, you might also like my eList of 200+ Web Tools, Plugins and Apps for entrepreneurs.